Saturday, November 22, 2008

The old days in Tang Soo Do

Tang Soo Do, is a kind of martial art which is quite similar with other martials such as Taek Kwan Do. This martial art originated from Korea and it is slightly different from Taek Kwan Do in terms of techniques.
I joined Tang Soo Do since 1997. Slowly, I obtained my black belt 1st dan in the year 2000. It is quite an interesting sport for me as i feel great with all the movements, techniques coached by my master. Of cause, I aim to be fast and smooth with all the techniques. Tried to kick the opponents with each and every attacks. Trainings gave us a lot of chances to get to know each others. When it come to the training for national tournaments. it's really really tiring but challenging. I would say that the national championship training can kills us within half an hour if we are not well prepare mentally or physically. Even skipping a meal before the training or a improper rest/sleep the night before the training will make you suffer for half a day. Still remember that I get nauseated and have to lie flat for 15 minutes after half an hour of training. Aiming to kicks the kicking pad for 30 times within 1 minute is not as simple as jumping 30 times for 1 minute. Every kicks require combination of speed and power.
Tournaments are the best time to ensure your own ability. I started to participate in tournaments since yellow belt and I was lucky enough to be able to go to national championship in year 2001. Of cause, the presence of a few companions who were always tried to improve and beat down each other make the training and tournaments more challenging. We can actually see a big difference between state championship and national championship. In national, some people can fight by just standing on a single leg. don't be suprise that he can actually chasing you and beat you down by just hoping with a leg. Every kicks and punchs can make you fall down and slipped through the floor..
Still remember that there was once in a tournament, my opponent using "Spinning back side kick" and hit on my chest. Immediately i flew and slipped through the floor. Such a painful kick which stays in my mind until now..
We were asked to chop the breaks during upgrading exam to black belt. 2 breaks at a time is not an easy job. We also have to use the speed of our punch to create a blow that can blow off the candle's light (The white big candle lo.. not the tanglung/birthday small candle).
As a black belt holder, we used to help master during upgrading exams. A candidates who are taking a black belt upgrading exam requires to fight with 2 black belt 1st dan holder at the same time. For the candidate, it sounds like being in there just to get bullied. Of cause, black belt holders will take care of the juniors provided they know the way to get rid of attacks.. But i do notice that female candidates like to attack the private part of male seniors.. haha!
Tang Soo Do remained as the sport that i love the most. However, I had not been training for 6 years due to some injuries. Those are the old days with joys. It remains as fresh memory. Even though when i see the juniors' sparring nowadays, I still hope that i can stand on the stage again and participate in the tournament. But now, i need to convert those spirits into my studies! Need to be prepared for my final MBBS exam! Fight and fight to pass the exam and graduated as a doctor...

3 comments:

iamsoon said...

yo....tang sou dao o....

Anonymous said...

hi,
very interesting Story about the TSD life.. i m also a active member of TSD in kch! well.. also been to TI for tournament few years back. i also know Master Chin. haha..well u were saying that u are on your way to become a doctor..? very good.. but u still can go back for training once you settle down.haha! since u still like the art so much.

Robin, kuching, Sarawak

TIboy said...

Robin: your name sounds familiar to me. Probably we met before in 1 of the tournament. I am still actively helping master during most of the tournament included last year national tournament in Klang. I was there in the free sparring day. I applied to Teluk Intan for my housemanship training. hopefully i am free enough to continue this exciting sports.